Adult Psychiatric Services at Vidant Medical Center Behavioral Health is designed to assess, stabilize and treat both men and women who are experiencing an emotional or behavioral crisis in their lives and need the structure, security and intensity of an inpatient therapeutic setting.
We quickly identify a crisis, rapidly stabilize our patients and then prescribe effective treatment, including putting patients in touch with appropriate agencies within the community. We also work closely with the patient, the family and any health provider already involved in the patient’s treatment.
Structured, effective clinical program
We use a team approach to treat the emotional, social, spiritual and physical needs of each patient. These teams meet to discuss the treatment and progress of our patients. Our teams consist of:
- Occupational therapists
- Social workers
- Substance abuse counselors
- Recreational therapists
- Other health care professionals such as family therapists, dietitians and psychologists
We also hold family meetings as needed to encourage involvement in the treatment process.
Our Adult Program includes:
- Separate 23-bed unit
- Full assessment
- Medication management and adjustment
- 7-day programming
- Education sessions, including assertiveness, self-esteem, co-dependency, substance abuse, grief/loss, leisure, discharge planning, stress management and anger management
- Individual, family and group therapy
- Exercise, wellness and relaxation therapy
- Consultations with pharmacists, dietitians, substance abuse counselors and chaplains
- Aquatic therapy
- Spirituality groups
- Non-denominational worship
- Personal care
- Community re-entry outings
- Animal-assisted therapy
Common diagnosis/problems include depression, anxiety, bipolar and other mood disorders, schizophrenia, psychosis and other major psychiatric illnesses. Some patients may also have secondary substance abuse problems.
We accept voluntary admissions as well as involuntary commitments. Admissions are available 24 hours per day. Patients are admitted following an initial triage and assessment and are admitted by a psychiatrist on the medical staff of Vidant Medical Center.
We have someone available to answer your needs quickly. Call our our triage office at 252-847-8791 or page 252-413-4117, and a psychiatric triage counselor will respond in 15 minutes or less.