To make sure your surgery goes smoothly, follow these directions:
- Children under age 3 should bathe with regular soap the night before surgery.
- Children 3–18 should bathe with the special liquid soap provided by the Patient Testing Center or doctor’s office the night before surgery. Do not wash your face, hair or private areas with the liquid soap.
- Children up to age 8 may have clear liquids up to two hours before surgery. This includes water, tea, soda, juice without pulp, Pedialyte and Jello.
- Do not give children gum, candy or mints before surgery.
- Children ages 9-18 should not have anything to eat or drink after midnight.
- Infants may have formula up to six hours before arrival time. Breast milk can be given up to four hours before arrival time.
- You may bring a security item for your child such as a blanket, pacifier or soft toy.
- Bring extra diapers, sippy cups and formula if needed.
- We suggest that you leave your other children at home. It will be a long, tiring day for them.
- If possible, we recommend that two adults accompany young patients, so one can drive and the other can attend to the child on the way home.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call us at 252-847-4507.