Diabetes Inpatient Services at Vidant Medical Center uses a coordinated system of interventions to help hospital staff and physicians address the special needs of patients with diabetes.
We can help achieve the goal of effective metabolic management by
- Reducing complications that patients with diabetes can experience, including increased infection rates, longer healing rates and poorer outcomes as well as increased lengths of stay and resource utilization.
- Reducing fluctuations in plasma glucose levels
- Increasing patient satisfaction
Our dedicated, specially trained staff support physicians by
- Assessing the hospitalized patient to determine individual glycemic control and help the achieve desired outcome during his or her inpatient stay.
- Monitoring patients' co-morbid conditions and collaborating with the health care team for the delivery of interventions
- Interacting with the dietary departments to ensure patients' needs are met
- Facilitating education of patients, before discharge, on basic diabetes survival skills necessary for self-management
- Ensuring the safe and timely discharge of patients with diabetes
- Communicating with health care providers as necessary to facilitate patient progress
- Providing post-discharge follow-up and case management services by diabetes clinical nurse specialist
Our services reflect evidence-based standards of care and current best practices.