New Parent Resources

After your baby is born, you may feel overwhelmed by all the new responsibilities of caring for an infant. These resources can help answer some of your questions and provide printable guides that you can post around your house for reminders.

Car Seat Checks 

Remember that car seats come in several sizes. You will need an infant or newborn size for the first months of your baby's life. You may go by the Greenville Fire/Rescue Headquarters located at 500 South Green Street, Greenville, NC, to have your car seat checked on Fridays from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm.

CarePages- Maintain or begin a CarePage to keep family and friends aware of what's happening with your growing family.

New Parent Resources- Printable list of phone numbers you may need early on.

Baby's Birth Record- Log your baby's birth weight, length and any other notable information.

Feeding and Diapering Diary- Use this log to keep track of your baby's feedings, voids and bowel movements during your baby's first four weeks.

Breastfeeding helpful hints- This printable guide offers quick tips to help make breastfeeding as smooth as possible.

Shaken Baby Syndrome- It's never OK for someone to shake a baby to quiet him or her. Post this flier as a reminder to guests, babysitters or family members about the dangers of shaking a baby and ways to calm a crying child.

Infant Loss   - It's never easy to deal with the loss of a newborn or infant, but it's important to remember that you're not alone. We offer resources to help you recover physically and emotionally.  For more information contact the Family Support Network at 252-847-5120.

Domestic violence- Domestic violence is a serious issue, especially during pregnancy and with a newborn. The Pitt County Family Violence Program is available to help. Call 252-758-4400. Real Crisis Intervention is another local resource, especially for violence involving sexual abuse. Call 252-758-HELP or e-mail  

Birth certificate
The copy of your baby's birth certificate information you receive at the hospital is not a legal copy. The birth certificate will be ready about two weeks after you leave the hospital. You can get a legal copy by going to the Pitt County Register of Deeds Office, located at 100 West 3rd Street, Greenville. There is a fee and only cash is accepted.

Or you can send a written request for the legal copy to: Pitt County Register of Deeds, 100 West 3rd Street, Greenville, NC 27834.

You must include the following:

  • The full name of the baby
  • Your relationship to the baby
  • Money order made out to the Register of Deeds
  • The date and place of birth
  • The full name of the mother and father
  • A self-addressed envelope
  • A copy of your photo ID

For more information and current fee, call the Pitt County Register of Deeds at 252-902-1650.

Social security card
If you applied for your baby's social security card while at Vidant Medical Center, allow two to three months to receive it. If you do not receive it or have questions, call the Vital Records Branch of the state government in Raleigh at 800-772-1213.

Important Phone Numbers 

Admissions desk  252-847-7105
Hopeful Beginnings Postpartum Support Group  252-847-7439
Lactation Specialists  252-847-7439
Lactation Specialists for mothers with babies in the NICU  252-847-7439