2019 heart truth tour

Heart disease claims more than 600,000 lives in the United States each year, making it the leading cause of death for both men and women of most races and ethnicities. It's a serious health issue, especially for eastern North Carolina, and one that Vidant Health is serious about fighting.

Our annual Heart Truth tour is back, and we're once again teaming up with East Carolina Heart Institute and our physician partners to spread the word about living well. In the past, the tour has celebrated women’s heart health, but now we're letting the men in on all the fun!

Everyone is invited to attend a Heart Truth tour event. Local doctors and heart experts will be on hand with important messages you need to hear about heart health. Keynote speaker Joe Piscatella will share inspiring,  personal insights about lifestyle changes that can make a difference – including stress management, exercise and mindful eating. You’ll also enjoy a healthy - and delicious - meal and take home your own heart health kit.

The time to get started on a healthier you is NOW - so "take heart" and join us for this special event. Don't forget to wear your red!

joe piscatella

Joe Pisacatella had coronary bypass surgery when he was just 32 years old, and was told he probably wouldn't live to age 40. Now - 41 years later - he's one of the most respected experts on healthy lifestyle habits in the United States. He's a master storyteller who has written 12 best-selling books, including Don't Eat Your Heart Out, and appeared on many TV and radio shows. You'll be entertained by his practical advice and take-home tools — all delivered with a healthy dose of humor.

Joe lectures extensively on wellness throughout this country and abroad to hospitals, medical schools and a wide range of other audiences, including Boeing, Exxon and the US Naval War College. His message is relevant, personal and life-changing, and it will inspire you to take action.

You don't want to miss your chance to hear what Joe has to say on the Heart Truth tour. Get to know him now by visiting his website. You'll quickly learn that he's not your "average Joe."

heart truth tour events

It's time to Take Heart and get started on a healthier you. Register today to attend a Heart Truth tour event in your area. The events are free, but space is limited and registration is required.

For more information, call 855-MYVIDANT (855-698-4326).

Vidant Healthplex-Wilson Luncheon — February 25th
Vidant Beaufort Hospital Dinner — February 25th
Vidant Medical Center and Vidant Edgecombe Hospital Dinner — February 26th
Vidant Roanoke-Chowan Hospital Luncheon — February 27th
The Outer Banks Hospital Dinner — February 27th
Vidant Chowan Hospital Luncheon — February 28th
Vidant Bertie Hospital Dinner — February 28th
Vidant Duplin Hospital Luncheon — March 1st

other events

Media appearances

Dr. Noel Peterson, with East Carolina Heart Institute and Vidant Medical Center, appeared on WNCT on Feb. 7 to talk about simple lifestyle changes that can help prevent heart disease. There are obvious changes that can be made, like exercising regularly and incorporating more vegetables into your diet. But little things, like making a grocery list, meal prepping and parking in the back of the parking lot, can also make big differences.

Dr. Pradeep Arumugham of Vidant Cardiology – Kinston appeared on WNCT on Feb. 14 to talk about misconceptions that people may have about heart health. Did you know that a 30 percent blockage in your arteries has almost the same chance of giving you a heart attack as 70 percent blockage? Stents nor bypasses can prevent heart attacks – a healthy diet and active living are the two best medicines to keep your heart happy and healthy.

Dr. Mark Iannettoni, with the East Carolina Heart Institute and Vidant Medical Center, joined Talk of the Town host Henry Hinton on Feb. 14 to talk about the challenges facing heart health in this region and how Vidant and the Heart Institute are working towards making eastern North Carolina a healthier place. His interview is at the 29:35 mark.

Dr. Michael Williams, a cardiologist with Vidant Cardiology – Greenville, appeared on WNCT on Feb. 21 to talk about all things atrial fibrillation and its prevalence in eastern North Carolina. Did you know that nearly 3 million people in the United States have been diagnosed with atrial fibrillation and your likelihood of developing it increases with age? Atrial fibrillation causes an increased risk for stroke so it’s important to know how to prevent and treat this heartbeat abnormality.

Dr. Blase A. Carabello, a cardiologist with ECU Physicians and the Cardiology Division chief at ECU ECHI, appeared on WNCT on Feb 28 to discuss ways to treat and prevent heart failure. He offers practical tips to promote heart health and talks about how to best live with heart failure.


Vidant Health is committed to providing comprehensive heart and vascular care to the people of eastern North Carolina. Our internationally-recognized doctors provide the most up-to-date technologies. Each of our hospitals offers heart health services, and all of our expertise comes together at the East Carolina Heart Institute in Greenville. 
Learn more about how we're saving lives in eastern North Carolina every day.
Find a Vidant heart doctor near you.

HOW YOU CAN "take heart”

How you treat your heart can make a difference in your quality of life now and in the future. Here are some ways you can have a healthier heart and happier life:


español »